Saturday, April 25, 2009

I Do Not Regret!

I watched La Vie en Rose the other day. It's a movie about the amazing French singer Edith Piaf. She has a rather depressingly beautiful life. She wasn't a loved child, raised by prostitutes, went blind for a while, joined the circus and rose to fame, had an affair with a boxer, saw her world fall apart again and again. I adore her music. I found it most tragic that she died at such a young age. Only the good die young? She sung a song called "Non, je regrette rien" meaning no I regret nothing. One of the many things that has been ticking through my mind lately has been this song title. It got me thinking: Do I regret anything, is it good to regret things....?

A lot of time I find myself thinking "Oh, I'm not proud of that" or "I wouldn't do it again if I had my time over" is this regret? We all seem to combat this negative setting with a positive "but it did show me who my real friends were" - something sweet to the sour. Is this then a regret? Reflecting on my life, I do think there are things that I wish I hadn't don - things I regret... but they are all apart of who I am today and help to create my motivation, my personality and my determination. Yes, once again that loop a sweet chaser.

I do think something that's not so much a regret, but perhaps a shame is that I was for far too long afraid to be myself. On this note, I think it's great to have approval for things but I'd sometimes think that if you have approval from someone to do something, you're only doing it to suit another. I don't know if that's super coherent. But I mean... we were at lunch yesterday and my co-worker make a comment about "It could be worse, it could be tattoos" which my mother replied with "They'll be next". Part of me is quite happy that my tattoos are not known about in the adult world. Because the things I do I do for me. I don't talk to my mother about getting piercing because I'm the one who wants it. Her disapproval unwanted, it makes me think she believes it's a reflection on her part.

We've actually had a cancer scare in my house lately. Dad went to skin doctor and found a mole that caused some concern. The nurse and the doctor had reported their first indications to be a Meligment melanoma. After further testing, all came good. I guess it put things in check for me. Not so much that "Oh, I could lose my father" more so reaffirming my belief in living each day to it's fullest. Sometimes it means getting that assignment done and then indulging in some awesome cookies as a reward, or a day of art appreciation, a day filled with friends and tea, a day spent with nature, or a PJ day in which sleeping, reading and television revolve. I do not believe that there is really a bad why to spend your days... as long as you do it with the right intentions. Although I am a massive believer in doing things that make your life better, and take you further down your road.
Regret, regret and regret. What are your opinions on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment